Brenham · Agricultural Sciences · Agriculture - AGRI
Agricultural Power Units
- Fall 2021
- Section 001 CRN-11008
- 3 Credits
- 08/30/2021 to 12/16/2021
- Modified 08/25/2021
Lecture and Lab
- Monday, Wednesday, 8:00 AM to 9:50 AM, Rankin Ag Shop 140 and Shop Classroom 130
Instructor: Ben Burroughs
- Email: [email protected]
- Office: Rankin Ag Shop
- Phone: 979-830-4266
- RACS 104
Office Hours MW 10-3, TR 1-3, Friday by appointment only. Schedule an appointment via email prior to meeting with me.
Fundamentals of internal combustion engines: gasoline, diesel, and liquefied petroleum. Maintenance and adjustments of the electrical, ignition, fuel, lubricating, and cooling systems of agricultural power machinery.
Core Curriculum Statement
This course is not a core curriculum course.
Do a valve reconditioning job on a small single cylinder engine
Trouble shoot and repair a small single engine in a given time frame.
Rebuild a small single cylinder gas engine to within specifications of .0015".
Rebuild a multi-cylinder engine to within specifications of .0015".
Correctly measure all wear points of a given engine to an 80% accuracy.
Identify engine components 80% correctly
Optional: Text: Basic Principles of Four and Two Cycle Internal Engines From: Instructional Materials Service 2004
Briggs and Stratton Online
Module learning system covering components and tools
- Read and study the above text and answer the test questions at the end of the chapter.
- Weekly Quiz - at the end of each week there will be a test at the beginning of the class. Get to class on time on days that quizzes are taken. The quiz will consist of short answer questions over the previous week’s lectures. The lowest weekly quiz grade will be automatically dropped.
- Completely rebuild a small single cylinder gas engine (Blinn Furnishes).
- Completely rebuild a large multi-cylinder engine (Semester Project).
- Major Exams - There will be four major exams during the semester. These will cover the texts.,lectures, videos and and your notes. They will consist of: multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, drawings, matching, short answer essay, and at least one long answer essay.
- Comprehensive Final and Lab Practical
|Classroom tests||400 points||4 exams at 100 points each|
|Lab||200 points||Small engine Disassembly/ Reassembly|
|Briggs and Stratton Quiz's||110 points||On line certifications for small engines|
|Class Book||200 points||Student personal reference manual containing individual pictures and designed by student to showcase: tools, components, disassembly/reassembly of small engines|
|Final||100 points||Identify tools, components and answer questions over topics discussed through the semester.|
|A = 900-1010|
|B = 800 - 899|
|C= 700 - 799|
|D= 600 - 699|
Blinn College Policies
Notice of any action taken under these protocol and procedures, by Blinn College or its employees, may be delivered by hand, through the U.S. Postal Service, or electronically to the student’s Blinn Buc e-mail account. Notice shall be deemed received upon actual receipt, on deposit in the U.S. Mail, or upon entering the information processing system used by Blinn College for Blinn Buc e-mail accounts, whichever first occurs.
Information about the changes Blinn has made to the Fall semester: Back with Blinn.
1. Be on time for class
2. Wear correct attire for class. You will be getting "dirty" and some of the lab exercises will stain your clothes.
3. No Flip Flops, or Crocs will be allowed in the lab. If you wear them to class you will be told to go change. If you do not return to class you will be counted absent.
|Week||Meeting Details||Meeting Contact Hours||Weekly Contact Hours|
|1||M||8/30/2021||Syllabus, class orientation, lab tour,B&S login and learning||1.5||3|
|W||9/1/2021||C-History of Engines, L- Station Assignment||1.5|
|W||9/8/2021||C-Four Stroke Cycle, L-Small Engine Assignments, B&S- 4 stroke theory||1.5|
|3||M||9/13/2021||C- Small Engine Construction, L-Lab chemicals and use||1.5||3|
|W||9/15/2021||Day of Record||C- Small Engine Construction, L- Demo Check for wear||1.5|
|4||M||9/20/2021||C- Micrometers, L- Micrometer Checks, B&S- Compression||1.5||3|
|W||9/22/2021||C- Pistons and Rods, L - Begine Dissassembly of 1st engine||1.5|
|5||M||9/27/2021||C- Rings, L- Begine Dissassembly of Piston rings||1.5||3|
|W||9/29/2021||C - Engine Bearings, L- Finish disassembly of Enigne||1.5|
|6||M||10/4/2021||C - Crank Shafts, L- Engine reassembly||1.5||3|
|W||10/6/2021||C- Blocks, L- Engine reassembly||1.5|
|7||M||10/11/2021||C- Test 1, L- Finish Engine reassembly||1.5||3|
|W||10/13/2021||C - Valves, L - Valve settings, B&S - Intermediate Carburation||1.5|
|8||M||10/18/2021||C - Heads, L- Small Engine 2 start||1.5||3|
|W||10/20/2021||C- Test 2, L- Begin disassembly of small engine 2||1.5|
|9||M||10/25/2021||C- 2 cycle engines, L- 2 cycle engines, B&S - Fuel Systems||1.5||3|
|W||10/27/2021||C- Fuels, L- continue disassembly of small engine 2||1.5|
|10||M||11/1/2021||C- Fuel system, L- Small engine checks,||1.5||3|
|W||11/3/2021||C- Lubricants and Test 2, L- Reassembly of small engine 2||1.5|
|11||M||11/8/2021||C- Ignition systems, L- Finish reassembly of small engine 2, B&S- Ignition Systems||1.5||3|
|W||11/10/2021||C- Governers and Cooling systems, L- Run Small Engine 2||1.5|
|12||M||11/15/2021||C- Diesel Engines and Test 4, L- engine work, B&S - Diesel Theory||1.5||3|
|W||11/17/2021||C- Turbine and Wankle engines, L- engine work||1.5|
|13||M||11/22/2021||C- 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder vs 8 cylinder, L- engine work, B&S - Governor systems||1.5||3|
|14||M||11/29/2021||C- 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder vs 8 cylinder, L- engine work||1.5||3|
|W||12/1/2021||C- 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder vs 8 cylinder, L- engine work||1.5|
|15||M||12/6/2021||Work on class book and finish B&S assignments||1.5||3|
|W||12/8/2021||Work on class book and finish B&S assignments||1.5|
|Total Contact Hours||48|