Brenham · Agricultural Sciences · Agriculture - AGRI
Agriculture Construction I
- Fall 2020
- Section 001 CRN-10984
- 3 Credits
- 08/24/2020 to 12/10/2020
- Modified 08/18/2020
- Tuesday, Thursday, 10:00 AM to 11:50 AM, Rankin Ag Shop 120
Instructor: Ben Burroughs
- Email: [email protected]
- Office: Rankin Ag Shop
- Phone: 979-830-4266
- RACS 104
Office hours are virtual. You must schedule an appointment with me through email.
Safety procedures, selection, use, and maintenance of hand and power tools; metal cutting and welding; and construction materials and principles.
Core Curriculum Statement
This course is not a core curriculum course.
1. Demonstrate proper safety procedures in an agricultural construction laboratory.
2. Determine the proper usage of common hand and power tools.
3. Demonstrate principles of project layout (e.g. measurements, squaring, leveling).
4. Demonstrate proper use of metal cutting and welding equipment.
5. Apply basic wiring and plumbing techniques.
6. Illustrate the principles of surveying and concrete layout.
Text: Identifying Lumber and Computing Bill of Materials 2003 Estimating Materials Needed For Concrete 2004 Electrical Wiring 2002 Safely Using Power Tools 1999 Selection of Wood and Other Building Materials 2005 all of the above materials are from Instructional Material Services
- The student will prepare a bill of materials for a selected woodworking project. The bill of materials will be 90% accurate and will be completed before construction is begun on the semester project.
- The student will demonstrate power tool safety and correctly pass a tool safety test with 90% accuracy.
- The student will construct a power tool test project (the thing) to 1/16” accuracy
- The student will demonstrate electrical wiring circuits on the electrical test panel to 1/16” accuracy.
- The student will draw a complete set of plans for the semester wood construction project and the plans must march the constructed project to 1/16” per foot.
Classroom tests 400 points
Semester project/ Lab Exercises 100 Points
Drawings/ Drafting/BOM 300 points
Lab Proficiency Quizzes 250 points (hands on quizzes for wood and metal)
Blinn College Policies
Notice of any action taken under these protocol and procedures, by Blinn College or its employees, may be delivered by hand, through the U.S. Postal Service, or electronically to the student’s Blinn Buc e-mail account. Notice shall be deemed received upon actual receipt, on deposit in the U.S. Mail, or upon entering the information processing system used by Blinn College for Blinn Buc e-mail accounts, whichever first occurs.
Information about the changes Blinn has made to the Fall semester: Back with Blinn.
|Week||Meeting Details||Meeting Contact Hours||Weekly Contact Hours|
|1||T||8/25/2020||Class orientation and online login||1.5||3|
|R||8/27/2020||Shop safety, Measuring Tape, and safety quiz||1.5|
|T||9/1/2020||Oxy -Fuel Safety and lighting quiz||1.5||3|
|R||9/3/2020||Oxy Fuel Cutting quiz and station assignment||1.5|
|3||T||9/8/2020||Intro to SMAW and practice||1.5||3|
|W||9/9/2020||Day of Record|
|R||9/10/2020||Welding with Alternating Current (6011)||1.5|
|4||T||9/15/2020||Welding with Direct Current (6010)||1.5||3|
|R||9/17/2020||Welding with Direct Current (7018)||1.5|
|5||T||9/22/2020||Exam over SMAW (AC & DC)||1.5||3|
|R||9/24/2020||Intro to GMAW welding (MIG) and gases used||1.5|
|6||T||9/29/2020||Quiz over parts of GMAW Machine and setup following chart||1.5||3|
|R||10/1/2020||GMAW welding Flat and Vertical||1.5|
|7||T||10/6/2020||GMAW welding Flat and Vertical||1.5||3|
|R||10/8/2020||Exam over GMAW Flat push and pull||1.5|
|8||T||10/13/2020||Quiz over GMAW Vertical Up and Down||1.5||3|
|10/15/2020||Intro to Spool Gun maint and setup||1.5|
|9||T||10/20/2020||GMAW Spool Gun welding (Al) and FCAW||1.5||3|
|R||10/22/2020||Quiz over Spool Gun (Al) and FCAW welding||1.5|
|T||10/27/2020||Introduction to Wood Shop and safety||1.5||3|
|R||10/29/2020||Types of Wood||1.5|
|11||T||11/3/2020||Fastners and glues||1.5||3|
|R||11/5/2020||Machine safety and proper use||1.5|
|12||T||11/10/2020||Drafting and Bill of Materials||1.5||3|
|R||11/12/2020||Drafting and Bill of Materials||1.5|
|13||T||11/17/2020||Drafting and Bill of Materials||1.5||3|
|R||11/19/2020||Machine ID and Drafting /Bill of Materials quiz||1.5|
|14||T||11/24/2020||Draft and Start on Bill of materials for||1.5||3|
|15||T||12/1/2020||Online Meeting||Wood Machine Maintaince||1.5||3|
|R||12/3/2020||Online Meeting||Wood Machine Maintaince||1.5|
|16||M||12/7/2020||Online Final||Final online using Honorlock||3|
|Total Contact Hours||48|