Master Course Syllabus · Visual and Performing Arts · Music Lect/Ens - MUSI
Music Theory IV
- Master Course Syllabus
- Section ALL
- 3 Credits
- 01/01/2019 to 08/31/2019
- Modified 08/05/2019
3 Lecture Hours Per Week; 48 Total Contact Hours; Credit: 3 Student Credit Hours
Continuation of advanced chromaticism and survey of analytical and compositional procedures in post-tonal music. Optional correlated study at the keyboard.
Prerequisites: Grade of C or better in Music Theory III
Corequisites: Sight Singing and Ear Training IV and Class Piano IV, music major lessons and parent ensemble
Core Curriculum Statement
This course is not a core curriculum course.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will:
1. Construct and identify advanced chromatic harmonies.
2. Analyze musical compositions that utilize advanced chromatic harmonies and foreign-key modulation
3. Analyze musical compositions that utilize a variety of post-tonal practices.
4. Compose music utilizing appropriate post-tonal practices.
5. Demonstrate musical concepts covered in class on the keyboard.
6. Demonstrate an understanding of rhythmic meter and note duration through score analysis and
Required: Tonal Harmony/ Stefan Kostka, Dorothy Payne, Byron Almén, 8th edition. New York, NY. McGraw Hill Education, 2018. Looseleaf version of textbook bundled with "CONNECT" online 3 year subscription
Tonal Harmony eBook bundled with McGraw Hill "Connect" 3 year subscription
College rule notebook, Music Staff Paper,
No. 2 pencil,
Access to music compositional software/app. Online and free- https://musescore.org/en
Blinn College Policies
Notice of any action taken under these protocol and procedures, by Blinn College or its employees, may be delivered by hand, through the U.S. Postal Service, or electronically to the student’s Blinn Buc e-mail account. Notice shall be deemed received upon actual receipt, on deposit in the U.S. Mail, or upon entering the information processing system used by Blinn College for Blinn Buc e-mail accounts, whichever first occurs.