Brenham · Agricultural Sciences · Agriculture - AGRI
Agricultural Power Units
- Spring 2019
- Section 001 CRN-20514
- 3 Credits
- 01/14/2019 to 05/09/2019
- Modified 01/08/2019
Lecture and Lab
- Monday, Wednesday, 8:00 AM to 9:50 AM, Rankin Ag Shop 140
Instructor: Ben Burroughs
- Email: [email protected]
- Office: Rankin Ag Shop
- Phone: 979-830-4266
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 1:30 PM to 4:00 PM, RACS
Fundamentals of internal combustion engines: gasoline, diesel, and liquefied petroleum. Maintenance and adjustments of the electrical, ignition, fuel, lubricating, and cooling systems of agricultural power machinery.
Core Curriculum Statement
This course is not a core curriculum course.
Do a valve reconditioning job on a small single cylinder engine
Trouble shoot and repair a small single engine in a given time frame.
Rebuild a small single cylinder gas engine to within specifications of .0015".
Rebuild a multi-cylinder engine to within specifications of .0015".
Correctly measure all wear points of a given engine to an 80% accuracy.
Identify engine components 80% correctly
Optional: Text: Basic Principles of Four and Two Cycle Internal Engines From: Instructional Materials Service 2004
Briggs and Stratton Online
Module learning system covering components and tools
- Read and study the above text and answer the test questions at the end of the chapter.
- Weekly Quiz - at the end of each week there will be a test at the beginning of the class. Get to class on time on days that quizzes are taken. The quiz will consist of short answer questions over the previous week’s lectures. The lowest weekly quiz grade will be automatically dropped.
- Completely rebuild a small single cylinder gas engine (Blinn Furnishes).
- Completely rebuild a large multi-cylinder engine (Semester Project).
- Major Exams - There will be four major exams during the semester. These will cover the texts.,lectures, videos and and your notes. They will consist of: multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, drawings, matching, short answer essay, and at least one long answer essay.
- Comprehensive Final and Lab Practical
Classroom tests 400 points ([email protected] points)
Class Book 200 points (1)
Class Attendance 400 points (16 weeks @ 12.5 points per day)
Class Participation 400 points (16 weeks @ 12.5 points per day)
Briggs and Stratton 700 points (7 modules @100 points each)
Classroom final 100 points (1)
Course grades are as follows:
A = 1980-2200 Points
B = 1760-1979 points
C = 1540-1759 points
D = 1320-1539 points
F = Under 1320 points
Blinn College Policies
Notice of any action taken under these protocol and procedures, by Blinn College or its employees, may be delivered by hand, through the U.S. Postal Service, or electronically to the student’s Blinn Buc e-mail account. Notice shall be deemed received upon actual receipt, on deposit in the U.S. Mail, or upon entering the information processing system used by Blinn College for Blinn Buc e-mail accounts, whichever first occurs.