Brenham · Agricultural Sciences · Agriculture - AGRI
Agriculture Construction I
- Spring 2019
- Section 001 CRN-22926
- 3 Credits
- 01/14/2019 to 05/09/2019
- Modified 01/10/2019
- Tuesday, Thursday, 8:00 AM to 9:50 AM, Rankin Ag Shop 120
Instructor: Ben Burroughs
- Email: [email protected]
- Office: Rankin Ag Shop
- Phone: 979-830-4266
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 1:30 PM to 4:00 PM, RACS
Safety procedures, selection, use, and maintenance of hand and power tools; metal cutting and welding; and construction materials and principles.
Core Curriculum Statement
This course is not a core curriculum course.
1. Demonstrate proper safety procedures in an agricultural construction laboratory.
2. Determine the proper usage of common hand and power tools.
3. Demonstrate principles of project layout (e.g. measurements, squaring, leveling).
4. Demonstrate proper use of metal cutting and welding equipment.
5. Apply basic wiring and plumbing techniques.
6. Illustrate the principles of surveying and concrete layout.
Text: Identifying Lumber and Computing Bill of Materials 2003 Estimating Materials Needed For Concrete 2004 Electrical Wiring 2002 Safely Using Power Tools 1999 Selection of Wood and Other Building Materials 2005 all of the above materials are from Instructional Material Services
- The student will prepare a bill of materials for a selected woodworking project. The bill of materials will be 90% accurate and will be completed before construction is begun on the semester project.
- The student will demonstrate power tool safety and correctly pass a tool safety test with 90% accuracy.
- The student will construct a power tool test project (the thing) to 1/16” accuracy
- The student will demonstrate electrical wiring circuits on the electrical test panel to 1/16” accuracy.
- The student will draw a complete set of plans for the semester wood construction project and the plans must march the constructed project to 1/16” per foot.
Classroom tests/quizzes 400 points
Semester project/ Lab Exercises 100 Points
Drawings/ Drafting 100 points
Icev 800 points
Class Participation 400 points (16 weeks @ 12.5 points per day)
Class Attendance 400 points (16 weeks @ 12.5 points per day)
Course grades are as follows:
A = 1980-2200
B = 1760-1979
C = 1540-1759
D = 1320-1539
F = Under 1320
Blinn College Policies
Notice of any action taken under these protocol and procedures, by Blinn College or its employees, may be delivered by hand, through the U.S. Postal Service, or electronically to the student’s Blinn Buc e-mail account. Notice shall be deemed received upon actual receipt, on deposit in the U.S. Mail, or upon entering the information processing system used by Blinn College for Blinn Buc e-mail accounts, whichever first occurs.
|1||T||1/15/19||Intro to Ag Mech, ICEV Orientation, E-Campus Orientation||Basic Shop Safety introduction to Ag Mech Indusrty||3|
|R||1/17/19||Safety, Tape Measure and Measurement||Safety, Reading tape Measure|
|2||T||1/22/19||Safety Quiz and Tape Measure Quiz, Intro to Oxy Fuel||Oxy fuel safety, setup, and use||3|
|R||1/24/19||OxyFuel Lab||Measuring, lighting, cutting with oxy fuel torch|
|3||T||1/29/19||Intro to stick welding (SMAW)||SMAW packet and ICEV||3|
|W||1/30/19||Day of Record|
|R||1/31/19||Lab on stick welding identifing parts of welding machine||Lab welding, striking an arc and making a bead|
|4||T||2/5/19||Stick welding in Lab||Making beads flat||3|
|R||2/7/19||Test 1 Stick welding (Flat weld)||Test 1|
|5||T||2/12/19||Intro to MIG welding (GMAW)||Equipment and setup ICEV||3|
|R||2/14/19||Lab GMAW welding (Flat and Horizontal)||GMAW Welding|
|6||T||2/19/19||GMAW/FCAW (Flux Core) welding||FCAW||3|
|R||2/21/19||Finish SMAW/GMAW/FCAW||Lab finishing Welding|
|7||T||2/26/19||Volume in Agriculture||Caculations||3|
|8||T||3/5/19||Electricity||Principles and uses||3|
|R||3/7/19||Plumbing||Principles and uses|
|3/11-3/15 Spring Break|
|9||T||3/19/19||Introduction to Woodworking, Tool Familiarization, safety||Lumberyard Video||3|
|R||3/21/19||Setting and using all woodworking machines.||miter saw, band saw, planer,jointer|
|10||T||3/26/19||Setting and using all woodworking machines.||tabel saw, router table, power tools||3|
|R||3/28/19||Introduction to Drafting, engineering rulers, scales||Sketching, drafting|
|11||T||4/2/19||Drafting page setup and putting idead on paper||Drafting||3|
|R||4/4/19||Bill of Materials for project||excel and bill of materials|
|12||T||4/9/19||Finishing wood and the look desired, begin project||Sanding and sealing wood||3|
|T||5/7/19||Final 7:45-10:00 am|
|Total Contact Hours||47.7|