Blinn College • Bryan • Natural Science • Physics - PHYS
College Physics I PHYS-1401
A course primarily designed for students preparing for careers in architecture, biology, medicine, pharmacy and other fields requiring two semesters of physics. Topics covered include fundamentals of classical mechanics, heat and sound.
Prerequisites: (i) MATH 1314 and MATH 1316, (ii) MATH 2312 or (iii) MATH 2412
This is a Core Course in the 42-Hour Core Curriculum of Blinn College. As such, students will develop proficiency in the appropriate Intellectual Competencies, Exemplary Educational Objectives, and Perspectives.
Textbook: James S. Walker, Physics, 4th edition (Vol. I).
Laboratory Manual: Physics 1401 Laboratory Manual: Available at the copy center on the first floor of the Bookstore Building on the Blinn campus.
A scientific calculator.
There will be three exams and a comprehensive final. Your lowest exam grade will count for 10% of your exam average. The other two exams will count for the remaining 90%. There are no make-up exams. All exams will be closed-book and closed-note exams typically comprising a mix of work-out problems, multiple choice, short answer, and true/false. All work must be presented in clear logical order to receive partial or full credit. Correct answers with little, incorrect, or no justification will be given no credit. There is a required format for submitting all work-out problems. That format is found on eCampusd2l in the document: Format for Work-out Problems.
There will be a homework assignment for each chapter from problems at the end of the chapter. Each student will maintain a homework notebook (either loose-leaf or bound) with assignments separated by chapter. The notebooks will be turned in at the start of each exam. The list of assigned homework problems is available on eCampusd2l.
There are 8 labs. Lab time will be used to collect data. Students should expect to complete calculations outside of class. Lab reports are due the second class following the day the lab was assigned. Note: You must be present on the day the lab is assigned in order to get credit for it. There is no time to make-up labs.
These are open book quizzes on which you may collaborate with your fellow students. There is a group quiz for each chapter. They are due the day they are assigned unless I specify otherwise. I will grade selected group quizzes and selected problems from the group quiz. Note: You must be present in class the day the group quiz is assigned in order to get credit for it. Students must print a copy of the group quiz from eCampusd2l and bring it to class on the day the group quiz is assigned according to the schedule.
Your lowest exam score will count 10% of your overall exam average. The other two scores will count the remaining 90%.
Your daily grade is an average of your lab grades, group quiz grades, and homework grades.
Members of the Blinn College community, which includes faculty, staff and students, are expected to act honestly and responsibly in all aspects of campus life. Blinn College holds all members accountable for their actions and words. Therefore, all members should commit themselves to behave in a manner that recognizes personal respect and demonstrates concern for the personal dignity, rights, and freedoms of every member of the College community, including respect for College property and the physical and intellectual property of others.
Civility Notification Statement. If a student is asked to leave the classroom because of uncivil behavior, the student may not return to that class until he or she arranges a conference with the instructor; it is the student’s responsibility to arrange for this conference.
This statement reflects step one in a possible four step process. The Incivility Protocol is detailed in the Blinn College Student Handbook.
The College District believes that class attendance is essential for student success; therefore, students are required to promptly and regularly attend all their classes. A record of attendance will be maintained from the first day of classes and/or the first day the student’s name appears on the roster through final examinations. If a student has one week’s worth of unexcused absences during the semester, he or she will be sent an e-mail by the College District requiring the student to contact his or her instructor and schedule a conference immediately to discuss his/her attendance issues. Should the student accumulate two weeks’ worth of unexcused absences, he or she will be administratively withdrawn from class.
There are four forms of excused absences recognized by the institution:
Other absences may be considered excused at the discretion of the faculty member with appropriate documentation. A student enrolled in a developmental course is subject to College District-mandated attendance policies. Failure to attend developmental classes shall result in removal from the course as defined by the College District.
It is the student’s responsibility to officially drop a class he or she is no longer attending. To officially drop a class the student must obtain the class withdrawal form from Enrollment Services, complete the class withdrawal form, secure the required signatures, and return the completed form to Enrollment Services. The last day to drop with a Q is according to the Academic Calendar.
Blinn College does not tolerate cheating, plagiarism, or any other act of dishonesty with regard to the course in which you are enrolled. The following text defines the faculty member’s responsibility with regard to the scholastic integrity expectation for this and all courses at Blinn College.
It is the responsibility of faculty members to maintain scholastic integrity at the College District by refusing to tolerate any form of scholastic dishonesty. Adequate control of test materials, strict supervision during testing, and other preventive measures should be utilized, as necessary, to prevent cheating or plagiarism. If there is compelling evidence that a student is involved in cheating or plagiarism, the instructor should assume responsibility and address the infraction. Likewise, any student accused of scholastic dishonesty is entitled to due process as outlined in Blinn College Board Policy FLB (Local). The Scholastic Integrity Policy is located in the Blinn College Student Handbook. In a case of scholastic dishonesty, it is critical that written documentation be maintained at each level throughout the process.
eCampus is the primary means of communication between the instructor and students for this class. The following is available on eCampus:
Missing any part of lecture or lab counts as one absence. Missing both the lecture and lab periods for a given day counts as only one absence. During the Summer sesssion, 3 unexcused absences count as two weeks.
If you have a complaint about your class, you should first request a conference with your instructor to try to resolve the problems or issues. If the problems or issues cannot be resolved at the instructor level, you should request a conference with the Division Chair, To Be Announced
1 Jun. 2
Intro and Ch. 1
Units, Dimensional Analysis, Unit Conversions
1-D Linear Kinematics; Free Fall
2-D Kinematics; Projectile Motion
2 Jun. 9
Exam Rev./Ch. 7
Applications of Newton’s Laws
Work and Kinetic Energy
Potential Energy; Conservation of Energy
Momentum; Collisions; Conservation of Momentum
3 Jun. 16
Exam Rev./Ch. 11
Rotational Kinematics and Energy
Rotational Statics and Dynamics; Angular Momentum
4 Jun. 23
Exam Rev./Ch. 16
Ch. 10-13, 15
Waves and Sound
Heat and Temperature
Ideal gasses; Phase Changes
The Laws of Thermodynamics
5 Jun. 30