M.B.A., University of Houston Bauer School of Business, Houston, Texas. 2004.
Ph.D., Biomedical Sciences (Pharmacology), Kent State University/Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Kent, Ohio. 1998.
B.A., Biology, University of Dallas, Irving, Texas. 1988.
Blinn College, Bryan, TX
- General Biology I (BIOL 1406)
- Anatomy & Physiology I and II (BIOL 2401 & 2402)
- Introduction to Physiology (BIOL 2404)
Research Assistant Professor
August 2004 - current
Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
January 2005 - July 2015
Blinn College, Bryan, TX
29. Chang, J., Shi, L., Ko,M.L., and Ko, G. Circadian regulation of mitochondrial dynamics in retinal photoreceptors. JBR, 33(2): 151-165, 2018. PMID: 29671706.
28. Shi, L., Chang, J., Yu, F., Ko, M.L., and Ko, G. The contribution of L-type Cav1.3 channels to retinal light responses. Front. Mol. Neurosci., 10: 394, 2017. PMID: 29259539.
27. Retinoschisin facilitates the function of L-type voltage-gated calcium channels. Shi, L., Ko, M.L., and Ko, G. Front. Cell. Neurosci. 11: 232, 2017. PMID: 28848397.
26. Kim, A.J., Chang, J., Shi, L., Chang, R., Ko, M.L., and Ko, G. The effects of metformin on obesity-induced dysfunctional retinas. IOVS, 58: 106-118, 2017.
25. Shi, L., Kim, A.J., Chang, R., Ying, W., Ko, M.L., Zhou, B., and Ko, G. Deletion of miR-150 exacerbates retinal microvascular overgrowth in high-fat-diet induced diabetic mice. PLoS ONE, 11(6): e0157543, 2016. PMID: 27304911; PMCID: 4909316.
24. Huang, C., Shi, L., Lin, C., Kim, A.J., Ko, M.L., and Ko, G. A new role of AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) in the circadian regulation of L-type voltage-gated calcium channels (L-VGCCs) in late-stage embryonic retinal photoreceptors. J. Neurochem., 135: 727-741, 2015. PMID: 26337027; PMCID: 4636938; NIHMS: 720740.
23. Chang, R., Shi, L., Huang, C., Kim, A.J., Ko, M.L., Zhou, B., and Ko, G. High-fat-diet induced retinal dysfunction. IOVS, 56: 2367-2380, 2015. PMID: 25788653; PMCID: 4407693.
22. Shi, L., Ko, M.L., Park, S., Ko, S., Kim, A.J., and Ko, G. Peptide Lv augments L-type voltage-gated calcium channels through vascular endothelial grpwth factor receptor 2 (VEGFR2) signaling. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) Mol. Cell Res., 1853: 1154-1164, 2015. PMID: 25698653; PMCID: 4382007; NIHMS: 664987.
21. Ko, M.L., Shi, L., Huang, C., Park, S., Hong, M., Wu, C., and Ko, G. Chicken embryos as a potential new model for early onset type I diabestes. J. Diabetes Res., 354094, 2014. PMID: 25133191; PMCID: 4122024.
20. Ko, M.L., Shi, L., Huang, C., Grushin, K., Park, S., and Ko, G. Circadian phase-dependent effect of nitric oxide on L-type voltage-gated calcium channels in avian cone photoreceptors. J. Neurochem., 127: 314-328, 2013. PMID: 23895452; PMCID: 4112736; NIHMS: 512095.
19. Huang, C., Ko, M.L., and Ko, G. A new functional role for mechanistic/mammalian target of rapamycin complex 1 (TORC1) in the circadian regulation of L-type voltage-gated calcium channels in avian cone receptors. PLoS ONE, 8(8): e73315, 2013. PMID: 23977383; PMCID: 3747127.
18. Shi, L., Ko, M.L., Abbott, L., and Ko, G. Identification of peptide Lv, a novel putative neuropeptide that regulates the expression of L-type voltage-gated calcium channels in photoreceptors. PLoS ONE, 7(8): e43091, 2012. PMCID: 3418253.
17. Huang, C.-Y., Ko, M. L., Vernikovskaya, D. I., Ko, G. Y.-P. Calcineurin serves in the circadian output pathway to regulate the daily rhythm of L-type voltage-gated calcium channels in the retina. J. Cellular Biochemistry, 113: 911-922, 2012. NIHMS: 342130.
16. Ko, M. L., Shi, L., Tsai, J.-Y., Young, M.E., Neuendorff, N., Earnest, D.J. and Ko, G.Y.-P. Cardiac-specific mutation of Clock alters the quantitative measurements of physical activities without changing behavioral circadian rhythms. J. Biological Rhythms, 26:412-422, 2011. PMCID: 3181102; NIHMS: 325298.
15. Ko, M. L.*, Shi, L.*, Grushin, K., Nigussie, F., Ko, G. Y.-P. Circadian profiles in the embryonic chick heart: L-type voltage-gated calcium channels and signaling pathways. Chronobiology International, 27: 1673-1696, 2010. PMID: 20969517; PMCID: 3155203; NIHMS: 316276.
14. Shi, L., Ko, M. L., and Ko, G. Y.-P. Rhythmic expression of microRNA-26a regulates the L-type voltage-gated calcium channel α1C subunit in chicken cone photoreceptors. J. Biological Chemistry, 284: 25791-25803, 2009.
13. Jian, K., Barhoumi, R., Ko, M. L., and Ko, G. Y.-P. The inhibitory effect of somatostatin-14 on L-type voltage-gated calcium channels in cultured cone photoreceptors requires intracellular calcium. J. Neurophysiology, 102:1801-1810, 2009.
12. Ko, M. L., Jian, K., Shi, L., and Ko, G. Y.-P. Phosphatidylinositol 3 Kinase-Akt signaling serves as a circadian output in the retina. J. Neurochemistry, 108: 1607-1620, 2009.
11. Ko, M. L., Shi, L., and Ko, G. Y.-P. Circadian controls outweigh acute illumination effects on the activity of extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) in the retina. Neuroscience Letters, 451:74-78, 2009.
10. Shi, L., Jian, K., Ko, M. L., Trump, D., and Ko, G.Y.-P. Retinoschisin, a new binding partner for L-type voltage-gated calcium channels in the retina. J. Biological Chemistry, 284: 3966-3975, 2009.
9. Ko, M. L., Liu, Y., Shi, L., Trump, D., and Ko, G.Y.-P. Circadian regulation of retinoschisin in the chick retina. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 49: 1615-1621, 2008.
8. Ko, M. L., Liu, Y., Dryer, S.E., and Ko, G.Y.-P. The expression of L-type voltage-gated calcium channels in retina photoreceptors is under circadian control. J. Neurochemistry. 103: 784-792; 2007.
7. Ko G.Y.-P., Ko M.L. and Dryer S.E. Circadian and cAMP-dependent modulation of retinal cone cGMP-gated channels does not require protein synthesis or calcium influx through L-type channels. Brain Research, 1021:277-280, 2004.
6. Ko G.Y.-P., Ko M.L. and Dryer S.E. Circadian regulation of cGMP-gated channels of verbebrate cone photoreceptors: Role of cAMP and Ras. J. Neuroscience, 24:1296-1304, 2004.
5. Ko G., Ko M.L. and Dryer S.E. Circadian phase-dependent modulation of cyclic GMP gated channels of cone photoreceptors by dopamine and D2 agonists. J. Neuroscience 23: 3145-3153, 2003.
4. Ko G., Ko M.L. and Dryer S.E. Circadian regulation of cGMP-gated cationic channels of chick retinal cones: Erk MAP kinase and Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II. Neuron 29: 255-266, 2001.
3. Ko G., Ko M.L. and Dryer S.E. Developmental expression of retinal cone cGMPgated channels: evidence for rapid turnover and trophic regulation. J. Neurosci. 21: 221-229, 2001.
2. Henkel J., Du H., Yang P., Qyang Y., Kansra S., Ko M.L., Kim H. and Marcus S. Bob1, a Gim5/MM-1/Pfd5 homolog, interacts with the MAP kinase kinase Byr1 to regulate sexual differentiation in the fission yeast, Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Differentiation 67: 98-106, 2000.
1. Ko M.L., King M.A., Gordon T. and Crisp T. The effects of aging on spinal neurochemistry in the rat. Brain Res. Bull. 42: 95-98, 1997.